Pages

Justine's books

Last Sacrifice
My Soul to Take
My Soul to Save
My Soul to Keep
My Soul to Steal
Wings
Spells
Illusions
Sing Me to Sleep
Girl Stays in the Picture
The Eternal Ones
Beastly
Ash
Huntress
Secret Society
The Trust
Ascendant
Rampant
0.4
Fairy Tale


Justine's favorite books »

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Review #81: This is Not a Test- Courtney Summers

Description: 

It’s the end of the world. Six students have taken cover in Cortege High but shelter is little comfort when the dead outside won’t stop pounding on the doors. One bite is all it takes to kill a person and bring them back as a monstrous version of their former self. To Sloane Price, that doesn’t sound so bad. Six months ago, her world collapsed and since then, she’s failed to find a reason to keep going. Now seems like the perfect time to give up. As Sloane eagerly waits for the barricades to fall, she’s forced to witness the apocalypse through the eyes of five people who actually wantto live. But as the days crawl by, the motivations for survival change in startling ways and soon the group’s fate is determined less and less by what’s happening outside and more and more by the unpredictable and violent bids for life—and death—inside. When everything is gone, what do you hold on to?

Title: This is Not a Test
Author: Courtney Summers
Pages: 323
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Review: I had a really hard time trying to write a review for this book. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but to try and get all of my feelings to words is really proving to be difficult. I thought this book was going to be about zombies and is group of kids trying to survive, think The Walking Dead but with teenagers. The book did have zombies they just weren't the main focus. This novel deals with something that may be hard for some readers, that concept being a suicidal teen. The only thing is this suicidal teen survived the end of the world.
Sloane lived with her sister and abusive father until the day her sister left and abandoned Sloane. This broke Sloane. Lily had promised they would leave together. Lily always told Sloane that she would die with out her. I felt really bad for Sloane. She had a crappy childhood and I feel like her sister kind of brainwashed her into thinking she couldn't survive without her. Therefore, once Lily left and the end of the world happened, Sloane kept trying to find ways to off herself but in ways that the others wouldn't know she was actually suicidal. I'm hoping if there is a second book Sloane realizes that she has survived when others didn't and that she deserves to live. There are quite a few secondary charcters that I liked but I don't want to give to much away. 
I enjoyed reading this book. I really hope that there is a second book so I can find out what happens to Sloane and I also hope the author makes a prequel from Lily's POV. I would recommend this book to people who want a new take on zombies or those who just want a good read. If you have a chance to read this book, do it.



About this author



Courtney Summers can't wait for the zombie apocalypse. Also she is the author of CRACKED UP TO BE and SOME GIRLS ARE, FALL FOR ANYTHING and THIS IS NOT A TEST, four edgy young adult novels published by St. Martin's Press. 


No comments:

Post a Comment